What is Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy is a manual treatment used to release tension in your muscles, connective fibers, and other soft tissues in your body. Your therapist uses their hands, forearms, and elbows as well as massage tools to put pressure on your muscles and soft tissues. Peak Medical offers a variety of massage techniques that are customizable to meet your individual needs.
What Should I Expect During a Massage Therapy Session?
Your massage session begins with a consultation. Your massage therapist asks about any pain or discomfort and your overall wellness. They may also ask about your diet, exercise, and sleep habits.
The massage team at Peak Medical offers a variety of massage techniques including:
- Swedish Massage: Swedish massage uses long, smooth strokes, kneading, shaking, and tapping to relieve muscle tension and stimulate lymphatic drainage. This massage technique benefits your circulation and other body systems including your nerves, muscles, and glands.
- Deep Tissue Massage: Deep tissue massage includes similar manual therapies to Swedish massage but focuses on releasing tension held deep within your muscles, including trigger points. Your therapist uses intense pressure to reach the deepest layers of your muscles as well as your tendons, and other connective tissues.
- Prenatal Massage: The massage therapists are trained to provide prenatal massages for pregnant women. Pregnancy causes aches and pains because of weight gain and a change in your center of gravity that affects your balance. In addition to relieving discomfort, prenatal massage can reduce your swelling and fatigue, and provide an energy boost.
- Medical Massage: Medical massage relieves pain and inflammation in your muscles and soft tissues following injury or illness. Peak Medical offers medical massage to ease the chronic muscular discomfort and inflammation associated with certain cancers, multiple sclerosis, and other autoimmune diseases. It also improves your circulation, lymphatic drainage, and range of motion.
- Sports Massage: Sports massage can help athletes of all levels prepare for peak performance and recover from the physical stress of competition and training. Sports massage can relieve fatigue and reduces swelling and tension. It can also help prevent injury and accelerate healing.
What are the Benefits of Massage?
Massage therapy provides a variety of benefits to your well-being, including:
- Pain relief
- Headache relief
- Enhanced circulation and lymphatic drainage
- Immunity boost
- Stress reduction
- Improved range of motion and flexibility
If you’re interested in massage, call Peak Medical or schedule an appointment online today for customized massage therapy.