Headaches and Migraines in Berkeley Heights
Headaches are defined as pain anywhere in the region of the head or neck. Headaches can cause long-term damage mentally and physically in addition to easily affecting day-to-day life. About half of adults experience headaches at least every year, with tension headaches being the most prevalent.
Migraines in particular are a severe form of headache that plagues around 13 percent of the U.S. adult population, with many sufferers experiencing chronic migraines (15 or more episodes per month). There are a number of causes for headaches including underlying conditions, stress and prolonged exposure to loud noise, fatigue or an incorrect eyeglass prescription.
Possible Symptoms of Headaches and Migraines
Headaches are something that many people deal with, but it is not a necessary part of life. They occur as migraines, tension-type headaches or cluster headaches which are all considered headaches but each have specific qualities in diagnosis.
Symptoms of headaches are:
- Dull aching pain in head and muscle aches
- Pressure or pain in the front, top or sides of the head
- Chronic fatigue
- Irritability and disturbed concentration
- Sensitivity to light or noise
Diagnosing Headaches and Migraines
Infrequently experienced headaches are often self-diagnosed. However, recurrent headaches will require further evaluation. Your doctor will likely ask a series of questions in relation to your headaches to rule out any underlying illnesses as well as to determine the cause and type of your headaches. Generally, a doctor can diagnose and determine the cause of your headaches without much medical intervention. In some cases, advanced imaging and other diagnostic tools may be necessary.
Options for Those Who Suffer from Headaches and Migraines
The latest technology provided at Peak Medical is combined with alternative therapies to provide immediate relief to our patients who suffer from headaches and migraines.
- SphenoCath: SphenoCath is a relatively new piece of technology that is minimally invasive and offers immediate relief for most patients with chronic headaches, headache syndromes and other facial pain. The sphenopalatine ganglion is a collection of nerve cells that is located just under the tissue that lines the back of the nose. By applying local anesthetic to the area, nerve impulses can be blocked thus providing relief from various types of pain. The SphenoCath is a medically designed device that can quickly and comfortably deliver medication to the area of the spheonpalatine ganglion.
- Chiropractic Care: Manual spinal manipulation is effective in treating headaches including tension headaches with neck pain and migraines.
- Acupuncture: The strategic insertion of thin needles prompts the body to release endorphins which provides immediate pain relief to those seeking treatment of migraine headache pain.
- Physical Therapy: Headaches that are associated with an injury may be relieved through physical therapy techniques that restore proper function to the injured area.
- Deep Tissue Class IV Laser: This FDA-approved treatment utilizes laser energy to increase circulation and regenerate cells. As a result, pain and inflammation are relieved and the healing process is accelerated.
- Spinal Decompression DRX9000 System: Certain conditions associated with the spine are known to cause headaches. Decompressing the spine effectively treats spinal problems while also eliminating headaches and other side effects.
The Peak Medical Difference
Peak Medical believes strongly in working closely with patients to develop a comprehensive treatment plan that focuses on restoring total health and wellness including the effective treatment of migraine headache pain.