Facet Syndrome Treatment in Berkeley Heights
Facet syndrome is most commonly known as facet joint disease, facet osteoarthritis, facet hypertrophy or facet arthritis. It is a syndrome in which the facet joints, located in the spine, degenerate to a point of causing painful and often debilitating symptoms. Facet syndrome is believed to be one of the most common causes of lower back pain.
Possible Symptoms of Facet Syndrome
The symptoms of facet syndrome are dependent upon the location of the degenerated joint, the amount of pressure that is being placed on the surrounding nerve roots and the severity of the damage. The amount of pain is not always an indicator of the amount of degeneration that has occurred within the joint. Many of our patients will experience little or no pain while others with the exact same damage will experience chronic pain.
Diagnosing Facet Syndrome
To diagnose facet syndrome, your healthcare professional will begin by evaluating your prior medical concerns and any underlying conditions. If facet syndrome is suspected, a number of different tests can secure a diagnosis. The most common diagnostic tools include an x-ray, CT scans and a facet joint block. If the results indicate abnormal changes in the facet joints, it is likely that facet syndrome will be diagnosed and treatment can begin.
While primarily caused through natural wear and tear, facet syndrome can also occur as a result of injury to the spine, degenerative disease or lifestyle choices.
Possible causes of facet syndrome include:
- Car accident, significant fall or high impact sports injury
- Lack of physical exercise
Facet Syndrome Treatment Options at Peak Medical
- DRX9000 Spinal Decompression: A nonsurgical treatment option for facet syndrome, spinal decompression alleviates pain associated with the condition by gently stretching the spine and decreasing pressure. This method allows the discs to properly realign into their natural spaces.
- Acupuncture: By triggering the body to release endorphins, a natural pain relief hormone, pain associated with facet syndrome is decreased and the balance and flow of energy through the body are restored.
- Chiropractic Care: Through manual spinal manipulation and adjustments, the spine and discs in the back are able to revert back to their natural position to decrease pain and elicit healing.
- Physical Therapy: This treatment option includes a combination of exercise, training and mechanical force which are paired together to restore balance and mobility.
- Injection Therapy: This is a simple treatment option frequently paired with physical therapy that includes receiving a small injection to alleviate pain and help restore function to the affected area.
Why You Should Choose Peak Medical for Your Facet Syndrome Treatment
Peak Medical offers treatment of facet joint pain symptoms based on your individual needs and health concerns. With a comprehensive care plan tailored specifically to you, you can focus on improving your overall health and the healing process can begin.